Since 1995, the Utah Healthcare Corps has increased access to primary healthcare services for Utahns by reducing economic, geographic, cultural, and language barriers.
The Utah Healthcare Corps (UHC), An AmeriCorps program of the Association for Utah Community Health, currently supports 26 members serving 10 sites throughout the state of Utah. Members of the UHC make a difference in the healthcare community by providing patients with vital health education and translation services, including facilitating health insurance enrollment.
In exchange for 52 weeks of service, participants receive $1,250 as a living stipend, a $5,865 Segal Education Award upon successful completion of service, interest-free deferment of student loans, invaluable experience in volunteer management, civic engagement opportunities, and the knowledge that they are making a real difference in the lives of the people they serve.
WANT TO JOIN?
What You Do
- Provide Interpretation Services
- Conduct Education and Outreach to the Medically Underserved
- Establish Medical Relationships Between Health Centers and Patients
- Facilitate Healthcare Enrollment
- Create Insurance Retention Plans for Individuals and Families
- Help Resolve Problems with Health Plans and Premiums
What You Get
- Living Stipend of $1,500/month for Full-Time Members and $750 per month for Half-Time Members;
- Eli Segal Education award of up to $5,815 upon successful completion of service;
- childcare assistance if eligible;
- healthcare coverage for Full-Time Members;
- and ongoing professional development training.
- High School Diploma or GED
- At least 18 years or older
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status (does not yet include Deferred Action)
- 1-year commitment
- Bi-lingual Spanish/English candidates
- Experience in social service
- 4 years of college experience
AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 members in intensive service annually to serve through nonprofit, faith-based, and community organizations at 21,000 locations across the country. These members help communities tackle pressing problems while mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve. Since 1994, more than 980,000 Americans have provided more than 1.3 billion hours of service to their communities and country through AmeriCorps.
AmeriCorps is a program of the Corporation for National and Community Service, a federal agency that engages millions of Americans in service through its AmeriCorps, Senior Corps, Social Innovation Fund, and Volunteer Generation Fund programs, and leads the President's national call to service initiative, United We Serve. For more information, visit NationalService.gov.
The Utah Healthcare Corps program year begins September 1st and applications are accepted year-round.